DOWNTOWN TOUR 3 | MAP 1
Alabama Power Company
600 18th St N. Walk a block north on 18th Street to see the headquarters of Alabama Power Company (1925, 1985). In its old
and new headquarters buildings, the company has given the state
some of its fi nest urban architecture. Prominent local fi rm Warren,
Knight and Davis designed the Art Deco 1925 skyscraper, with its
eye-catching form and colorful brick-and-tile ornamentation near
the top. New York sculptor Edward Field Sanford created the three
limestone fi gures at the building s main entrance, representing
power, light, and heat, and, crowning the building, the gilded statue
of Electra holding sheaves of lightning bolts. The huge 1985
addition goes out of its way not to overwhelm the historic 1925
structure while it meets the offi ce needs of one of the state s
largest companies. A slanted glass atrium full of light on the
interior aids the transition between old and new.
Return to your starting point at Kelly Ingram Park by walking one block west to 17th St and 6th Ave N.