Hassinger-Daniels House/ Carousel Carving School
2028 Highland Ave. Walk east on Highland to view the Hassinger-Daniels House (1898), now a bed and breakfast and
a carousel carving school and studio for sculptor Ira Chaffi n.
Terrace Court Apartments
NW corner of Highland Ave & 20th St S. A block down 20th Street from the circle, the Terrace Court Apartments (1907)
brought apartment living, along with heightened sophistication
and a more urban scale to the character of the neighborhood.
It was the fi rst skyscraper apartment house built in Birmingham
and possibly the Southeast. Early tenants included industrial
and business leaders, doctors, and attorneys. Tenants had a roof
garden for entertaining, a dining room on the fi rst fl oor, and card
and billiard rooms on the ground fl oor.
St. Mary s-on-the-Highlands Episcopal Church
NE corner of 12th Ave & 19th St S. A block up the hill from Terrace Court (Highland Avenue becomes 12th Avenue South)
is St. Mary s-on-the-Highlands Episcopal Church (1892), built
in the heart of some of the fi nest residences (now demolished)
in the Town of Highland. The church was designed by an
Englishman to resemble an English parish church. Take a brief
look at the intimate interior with its beautiful stained glass
windows, if it is open.
SE corner of Highland Ave & 20th St S. Retrace your footsteps down the hill to Highland Ave, where the Shepherd-Sloss
Building (1928) stands caddy-corner from Terrace Court. It was
inspired by a trip to California, where one of the developers had
seen some of the fi rst shopping centers that provided parking.