Dulion Apartments and LaSalle Apartments
2030 11th Ave S & 2028 11th Ave S. Directly across the street are the Dulion Apartments (1920), the fi rst of several 1920s
skyscraper apartments built on the city s Southside, and to the
west, the LaSalle Apartments (1926).
Fred Jones Building
1901 11th Ave S. Continue west beyond the circle intersection to the corner of 11th Ave and 19th St S. On the SE corner of the
intersection is the Fred Jones Building (1928; now Golden Temple),
another of the Five Points retail buildings sporting sunfl owers and
other Art Deco style motifs. The original owner, Fred Jones, was
the proprietor of a popular delicatessen and ice cream shop. The
second fl oor, where baking, salad making, and ice cream freezing
took place, now houses the Birmingham Festival Theatre.
Southside Baptist Church
Convergence of 19th St & 10th Court S, facing 11th Ave S. Across the street, Southside Baptist Church (1911) rises
impressively as an imposing Roman Ionic temple.
From here you can make your way back to the starting point or explore the Five Points neighborhood further.
SOUTHSIDE BAPTIST CHURCH
HEART OF FIVE POINTS SOUTH
Southern Life and Health Building
2121 Highland Ave. Across Highland, the Southern Life and Health Building (1927) brought the fi rst large offi ce building
(for an insurance company) to residential Highland Avenue.
The building draws on classical architecture for its symmetry,
proportions, columns, and ornament.
2154 Highland Ave. The Bradshaw House (ca. 1890) exemplifi es the Queen Anne style, with its trademark exuberance
and variety, expressed here in vertical massing, steep roof and
gables, cupola, scalloped shingles, and gingerbread trim. Along
with the Hassinger-Daniels House, the Bradshaw House reminds
us that Highland Avenue was, in its earliest days, the city s
grandest residential boulevard.
2179 Highland Ave. At the end of this block on the other side of the street is Temple Beth-El (1927), built for the city s
Conservative Jewish congregation.
First Church of Christ, Scientist
2031 11th Ave S. Go back down Highland to Richard Arrington Jr Blvd and turn to head north a block. At 11th Ave turn left
toward the Five Points Circle. On the corner is an offi ce that
was originally First Church of Christ, Scientist (1911).